Group Staff List:
Owl Class – Miss Begum and Mrs Choudhury
Kingfisher Class – Mrs Wright and Miss Hill
Support Staff – Miss Rogers
A note from the team:
We will spend time exploring the transition into Year 2 as a class. We aim for the children to be excited by and comfortable with the upcoming changes, however if you do have any specific concerns about your child please speak to their class teacher.
All children in Year 1 will take the ‘Phonic Screening Check’ during the week beginning 12th June 2017. The children will read 40 words and the task typically lasts about 10 minutes. This type of activity is very familiar to the children and they probably won’t even notice it’s anything different! Your child’s result will be reported to you towards the end of the term.
Our topic title for this half term is ‘Where in the UK is Barnaby Bear?’ We have lots of exciting things planned to help the children learn about different areas of the UK and Ireland.
Thank you for your support this year!
Mrs Wright and Mrs Begum
How you can help:
- Ensure your child reads their home reading book and that the reading record is signed and dated.
- Encourage your child to count coins at home, recognising their value and also to find different ways of making given amounts.
- Allow children to pay for items when shopping, helping them to work out how much change should be given,
- Practice counting in sequences of 2, 5 and 10,
- Encourage your child to identify odd and even numbers when you are out and about.
- To use number lines to add and take away numbers.
- To compare the length and height of different objects, commenting on which is longer/shorter or taller/shorter.
- Please label all items of clothing with your child’s name.
- Some PE lessons take place outside. Please ensure your child has trainers and jogging bottoms (in addition to shorts) in their PE kit so they can participate.
- Please remember that children are not allowed to bring toys to school, as they can be a distraction to the children’s learning and may get lost or broken.
Value for June: Fairness
Value for July : Tolerance.
Where in the UK is Barnaby Bear?
Our work will be based on the talk for writing text Cat, Bramble and Heron which is a version of a Welsh folk tale. We will be looking at myths in detail and how to create a Non-Fiction information text based on lake animals.
We will be telling the time to the half hour, learning the days of the week and the months of the year, recognising 3D shapes and describe their position, doubling and halving numbers and beginning to understand multiplication as ‘sets of’ and division as ‘how many sets?’.
Through our topic ‘Where in the UK is Barnaby Bear?’ we will be learning about seasonal changes, the work of British artists, designing and making an aquarium and learning about different areas of the UK and Ireland, locating them on a map and learning about key events in those locations.
Outdoor P.E. will be athletics and indoor P.E. will be dance.
Personal, Social and Health Education
Our P.S.H.C.E. theme is ‘Changes’.
Our value this month is ‘Fairness’ amd next month is ‘Tolerance’.
In R.E.our focus is ‘Who is Muslim and what do they believe?’
Music will continue to be led by specialists from Luton Music Service.